Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) – An El Camino Hospital-Los Gatos Program. Take An Active Role To Reduce Stress & Create More Balance In Daily Living
Developed by Jon Kabat-Zinn, Ph.D., at the University of Massachusetts Medical Center, MBSR teaches participants to become more aware of thoughts and feelings and to help them take a more active role in health management. Mindfulness is the practice of cultivating non-judgmental awareness in daily life. Mindfulness develops the potential to experience each moment, no matter how difficult or intense, with serenity and clarity. It is a way to gain immediate access to powerful inner resources for healing. With repeated practice, mindfulness allows you to develop an ability to calmly step back from thoughts and feelings during stressful situations, rather than entering into a cycle of stress reactivity. As a result, many people renew their enthusiasm for life and are better able to cope with stress.
The Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction Program is an intensive eight-week training to empower participants to take an active role in the management of their health. The Program complements the medical management of illness, chronic pain and stress-related conditions such as:
- Headaches/migraines and sleep disturbance
- Heart disease, high blood pressure, anxiety, panic disorders
- Gastrointestinal disorders, asthma, arthritis, fibromyalgia
- Cancer, AIDS and many other chronic medical conditions
- Feel overwhelmed, worried, restless, irritable, anxious or over-worked
- Suffer from headaches, stomach distress, muscle tension, fatigue or burn out
- Want to address issues such as smoking, eating and sleeping disturbances, difficulties concentrating, substance abuse, apathy or the daily stresses of modern life
- Are experiencing bereavement, depression, divorce, fatigue, frustration and job or family stress…
Then the Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Program might be right for you. By learning to actively participate in the management of their health and well being, many MBSR participants are better able to manage stress, fear, anger, anxiety and depression at home and at work, felling less judgmental of themselves and others. Others report a reduction in the number of hospital and health care provider visits and in the use of both prescription and non-prescription medications.
Graduates Reporting Lasting Benefits:
- Increased self-awareness, trust and acceptance
- More effective coping strategies
- Serenity in the face of difficulties
- More accepting attitude to life and challenges
- Decrease in chronic pain
- Lasting decreases in stress-related symptoms
- Significant decreases in anxiety and depression
- Improved concentration and creativity
- Improved immune system functioning
- Decreased symptoms secondary to cancer
Continuing Education Credits Are Available:
- RN, LVN, CNA; 28 CEU hours available – Approved by Board of Registered Nursing Provider #CEP532.
- MFCC and LCSW; 28 CEU hours available – Approved by the Board of Behavioral Sciences Provider #PCE930
Our Next Class is from February 8th to April 5th, 2010:
- Monday, February 8th - Complimentary Introductory Evening Session (7:00-9:00)
- Monday, February 15th-April 5th - Evening Sessions (7:00-9:30)
- Saturday, March 27th All Day Session (9:30-4:30)
To RSVP for the Program, please call our healthy aging partner, Healthstyle™ Integrative Medicine Center at 408-369-4250 or visit their website at healthstylecenter.com for more information.